curated by Sara Maher
O M G, it is cold, y’all. I am over this. How are we supposed to get through the six additional weeks of misery predicted by our groundhog friend? Why, with games, dancing, music, and coffee, of course!
Fort Greene Fun
Trying to get the kids out of the house during Midwinter Recess? Take them to a park, “the city’s natural classroom,” for Kids Week Brooklyn. Head down to the visitor center in Fort Greene Park for two F-accessible activities led by a NYC Parks Urban Park Ranger. Learn about the park’s history and how local Colonial children spent their free time with “Fort Greene History and Colonial Games,” or attend the “Build a Bird Feeder” class to see how you can construct a bird feeder using materials you already have around the house.
• F downtown to Jay St-MetroTech and walk east to the Fort Greene Park Visitor Center (enter the park on Willoughby St and continue east). Ages 12 and under. Free. Colonial Games: Tue Feb 21, 1-2:30pm. tinyurl.com/WIREkidsweek; Bird Feeder: Thu Feb 23, 1-2:30pm. tinyurl.com/WIREbirdfeeder
Take My Tears
If your Valentine’s Day didn’t turn out exactly as you’d hoped, dance the pain away at The Bell House’s Tainted Love 80s Dance Party. With a focus on New Wave jams, the set list will go deeper into the catalog of 70s - 90s hits and misses than you’ve ever dared to go (or ever wanted to go) before. The website notes other inspirations include “CBGB-era New York, Batcave-era London-Punk Rock, Glam Rock, Kraut Rock, Girl Rock, Dad Rock, Rockabilly, Ska, Machine Soul, Blue-Eyed Soul, Darkwave, Coldwave – plus some guilty pleasures in the (strictly) Old-School Rap department.” Bandanas on, everyone.
• F downtown to 4 Av-9 St and walk northwest to The Bell House (149 7th St, Brooklyn). Fri Feb 24, 10pm (event occurs monthly, usually the last Thu or Fri). Ages 21 and over. Free. thebellhouseny.com/event/1413323
Fab Fat Tuesday
In the United States, the best-known celebration of Mardi Gras has been held in New Orleans since 1837. NYC gets in on the action with its own collection of concerts, parties, and food. Get funky with George Clinton’s revolutionized R&B at Funky Fat Tuesday, now in its fifth year. Or get down at The Bell House’s Mardi Gras Bash! with live music, dancing, and gumbo. If you’d rather celebrate sitting down, head to restaurant and burlesque venue Duane Park for Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler, a one-night specialty show with a themed three-course menu and performances by a magician, a burlesque dancer, and many more.
• Funky Fat Tuesday: F downtown to 42 St-Bryant Park and walk west to B.B. King Blues Club & Grill (237 W 42nd St). Tue Feb 28, 8pm. All ages. $42.50-$143. bbkingblues.com. Mardi Gras Bash: F downtown to 4 Av-9 St and walk northwest to The Bell House (149 7th St, Brooklyn). Tue Feb 28, doors 8pm, show 9pm. Ages 21 and over. $15. thebellhouseny.com/event/1412407. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: F downtown to 2 Av and walk northwest to Duane Park (308 Bowery). Tue Feb 28, seating 7-7:30pm, show 8:30pm. $65 for prix fixe and show; does not include tax, tip, or beverages. duaneparknyc.com/laissezlesbontemps.html
Attention, my beautiful nerds! LIVE from the NYPL has announced its spring season! Beginning March 3, the library’s “premier cultural series” will allow you to engage with writers, artists, and leaders. Conversations include Israeli author Etgar Keret, The Daily Show host and author Trevor Noah with his editor Chris Jackson, Noam Chomsky with actor Wallace Shawn, and composer Philip Glass.
• F downtown to 42 St-Bryant Park and enter the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building on 5th Av. Various days starting Mar 3, 7-9pm. Ticket prices vary. nypl.org/events/live-nypl
Fancy yourself a coffee connoisseur? Every Friday morning, Counter Culture Coffee NYC hosts NYC Tasting at Ten at its regional training center. A different coffee is featured each week, and participants will learn about its origins and a complementary brewing method before being guided through the tasting. Bean appétit!
• F downtown to Broadway-Lafayette and walk southeast to Counter Culture Coffee New York Training Center (376 Broome St). Every Fri, 10am. Free; reservation required. Info and registration: tinyurl.com/WIREtastingat10